Community Water Center has been working diligently to help educate stakeholders about the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) of 2014. Working with partners throughout the valley we have hosted a series of workshops for regional stakeholders and have also visited many of our local water boards to conduct individual informational sessions. If you are interested in learning more about SGMA implementation, or want to get involved, contact Adriana Renteria at (559) 733-0219.
If you’re ready to get involved in groundwater planning, explore the following steps:
Step 1: Find your Groundwater Sustainability Agency by entering your home address here.
Step 2: Add yourself to your GSA’s interested parties list to receive updates for upcoming events by clicking on your GSA’s website and adding your email. Browse through their website to get caught up to speed and identify meeting times.
Step 3: Learn more about protecting drinking water in SGMA by reading through CWC’s SGMA resources page.
Step 4: Attend groundwater planning workshops to learn more and practice your skills.
Step 5: Participate in groundwater planning meetings in your GSA to advocate on behalf of your community’s drinking water needs!
- Guide to Protecting Drinking Water Quality Under the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, CWC publication.
- Groundwater Quality in the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA): Scientific Factsheet on Arsenic, Uranium, and Chromium, CWC & Stanford University publication.
SGMA overview (bilingual/bilingüe)
SGMA FAQ (bilingual/bilingüe)
Understanding the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act Presentation (bilingual/bilingüe)
- Map handout – Groundwater basins in Fresno, Kings, Kern and Tulare Counties (bilingual/bilingüe)
- Collaborating for Success: Stakeholder Engagement for Sustainable Groundwater Management Act Implementation, CWC, Clean Water Fund, & Union of Concerned Scientists
- SGMA resources/links
- Getting Involved in Groundwater: A Guide to California's Sustainability Plans, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Participe en el manejo de su cuenca: Guía para entender los planes de sustentabilidad de aguas subterráneas de California, Union of Concerned Scientists
Materials from past workshops:
- Groundwater Sustainability Planning 2017 Workshop Materials
- Groundwater Quality in SGMA Roundtable Materials
- Groundwater Sustainability Plans Workshop Materials
- Protecting Drinking Water in Groundwater Markets
- Protecting Drinking Water and Groundwater Planning in the Salinas Valley Workshop Materials
Also check out this Groundwater Management Technical Assistance Tool developed by our friends at the Union of Concerned Scientists !